Wednesday, October 2, 2013

What are we fighting for?

Personal experiences illustrate the value of a place. A text inspired me to show you the history and beauty of the centuries of conflict.

An awe-inspiring site, right? If only you knew what it took to reach that view.
.מצדה
Masada, if you don't read hebrew, means fortress. It was the ancient fortress of Herod the Great. Trying to access it today is probably just as bad it was in the first century CE.

Five Miles from the bottom (see those tiny trees in the picture? Below that.) to the top.
Here is my experience. 

Get psyched up, ignore the repeat screams of your conscious "You're going to die!"
If One-balled Lance can bike the Tour de France, I can handle this.
Put on some music to make it go faster.


         Breathe in, out.
              Push it.
          Step up. Don't fall off the edge of the cliff with little to not safety features.
                                                             Simple stuff. 
When I finally reach the top, I look around.....wowwwwww.


So this is what everyone has been fighting over for thousands of years? I have to say, the view may be worth it. Almost. I feel this rush of accomplishment, a wave of success rolls over me. I stand at the top, arms up in the 'V' of VICTORY. I feel like I owned this mountain, made it mine. Then I stop...is this why everyone is fighting so much? They feel this ownership, this desire to possess. You fight so hard, so long; lives are lost: is there an end? Is it worth it to continue the losses? Looking out at the view, I see the physical end goal. My emotions are mixed.

1 comment:

  1. I really liked the images you chose for your second blog post. They are absolutely beautiful and I honestly, would not have had any idea about the long history behind them if you hadn’t said so. Before reading the text, I made a quick analysis of the pictures- that they are definitely from a foreign place and that the first one could have possibly served as shelter or a house for someone centuries ago. I didn’t really think much about there being so much conflict in this place. Also, I never would have guessed that the second picture was an old fortress. To me, it just looks like some sort of mountainous terrain in the middle of nowhere. I am certainly glad that you added not only the location of the images, but also a description of the history behind the images- I thought it made the picture even more interesting. I also like the fact that you added in some words in Hebrew, making it clear to the reader that since you obviously know a bit of Hebrew, these images have some significance to your life.
    One thing I don’t really think is necessary is to mention the trees in the distance when describing the starting part of your journey. I tried zooming in on the picture to find these trees, but all I could really see were rocks and sand. On one hand, I kind of like this because it makes it seem even farther away. Maybe I’m just blind, but in my opinion, since you added in the exact distance, (5 miles) I don’t think the mentioning of the trees is necessary. I did however really like your video. It made it clear to the reader how you got to the spot, without having to explain through use of words. The music and the text with your last image also go together very well as showing triumph.

    ReplyDelete